Heating Safety Tips for the Holidays - Sun Heating & Cooling, Inc.

Heating Safety Tips for the Holidays


The holidays are a joyous time, but just like any other time of year, you need to make sure your home is a safe place! Learn more:

Michigan and home fire problems

Most homeowners aren’t aware that Michigan is one of the top states when it comes to the number of home fire tragedies. We know that hearing this news isn’t exactly part of the holiday spirit, but we think it’s very important to be aware of so that you can avoid any chance of a home fire. According to Lt. Kyle Clute of the Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department, “The state of Michigan unfortunately does rank usually in the top 10 across the country for home fire deaths.”[1] But this is completely avoidable as long as you and your family take the necessary measures to prevent a home fire this winter. How? Read on!

Be careful with candles and Christmas decorations

Christmas candles are a lovely tradition sure to brighten up your home! But you do need to take necessary precautions. One of them is making sure that your candles are at least a foot away from anything flammable, which is not only books, paper, and other decorations, but also something you might not have thought of, like drapes. Did you know that about half of all candle fires are caused by having the candle too close to flammable objects? And of course, the other way to keep your candle use as safe as possible is by having them in your sight, and then blowing them out when you’re going to leave. You might even want to set yourself a reminder in your phone, so you don’t forget to blow the candles out when you’re leaving home!

You should also be careful when it comes to your Christmas tree and Christmas lights! Just like with candles, be sure to keep your Christmas tree, especially a real Christmas tree, away from heat sources like space heaters, radiators, and yes, candles! When it comes to your Christmas lights, you should be careful not to connect too many light strands together, and never use light strands that are frayed or damaged.

Get a heating tune-up

We don’t want to overstate the danger of a furnace that isn’t maintained – while it could be the cause of a house fire, it’s rare! According to the National Fire Protection Association, one in every 10 house fires starts from the central heating system.[2] Combustion issues that cause a fire can even come from a dirty air filter (because the air and heat builds up in the system, unable to be distributed throughout your home).

This is why having your furnace tuned up by a professional every year is so important. We will also keep you and your family warm over the holidays, whether you live in Oakland County or the surrounding areas! Enjoy peace of mind and stay worry-free in your home, with help from Sun Heating and Cooling. Contact us online or call now: (248) 986-1506

[1] 9 & 10 News

[2] WNDU

Scroll to Top