Happy New Year! Every new year is a time to learn new things. One topic that’s invaluable to learn about is how to spot a scammer:
Needing heating, cooling, and other home repairs is a basic part of being a homeowner. Whether you need something checked, fixed, or installed, it’s a great comfort to find a serviceman who can be trusted. Unfortunately, many people have been taken by dishonest contractors over the years and did not know how to see the signs. We certainly hope that you never become one of these rare cases, but in case you do, we have put together a list of tips that may help you out.
1. Beware of unmarked cars or trucks. A lot of scam artists will try to avoid being easily identified, so they’ll drive an unmarked car or truck. If the serviceman arrives in an unmarked car or truck, be very careful before letting them work on your system. Instead, they should not only be arriving in a van with the company name on it (with a van wrap), and they should also have a business card to give you!
2. Along the same lines, every company should have flyers and brochures, as well as a written contract. If you’re not getting lots of papers handed your way from a company, it’s a sign that it’s not really a legitimate heating and cooling company at all! Also, the company should be able to provide you with evidence upon request that they and their technicians are fully licensed and insured. It’s important not just for their customers, but their own liability – so, any company that’s an actual company should have no problem with this!
3. Get a written estimate. A lot of scammers will try to charge an excessive amount for their services or will try to do the work without getting your full understanding first. To avoid this, always ask for a written estimate before any work is started. It should also provide a full breakdown of the work to be done and the materials needed. If there’s anything questionable about an estimate, just get a second opinion!
4. Be sure to investigate the company online before deciding! The internet is a great place to start when it comes to finding out more about a company. A quick search will reveal if there have been any complaints lodged against them with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or if they’re involved in any lawsuits.
5. Get referrals from friends and family. One of the best ways to find a good, honest company is to ask the people you know if they can recommend anyone in particular. This will generally give you a better idea of who’s reputable and who’s not, because these are the people they’ve personally dealt with in the past!
If you ever feel like you might be getting scammed by a heating and cooling company, you should probably go with your gut! We want to make sure that everyone can have a scam-free year in 2022, and we’re here to support you however we can. If you’re looking for a company that could be the right fit for you here in Oakland County, and that is committed to quality and honesty, reach out to Sun Heating and Cooling! Contact us online or call now: (248) 986-1506